Friday 9 August 2013

It's quiet, . .. . .too quiet.

I suppose it was bound to happen, the monotony of seeing very very little has made me decide, late in the day though it is I'm going to adopt a new patch along with the old one just for a change of scenery. So, a nice coastal area I think. Obviously I cant pick a totally new patch at this stage of the year as I couldn't be bothered doing the patch introduction.,so I'll just adopt a site that someone else is also doing, and looking around, Galley Head looks a nice spot,  not too close to home but still in Cork. So that's Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Bulwer's Petrel, plus rarity points plus finders bonus, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, . . . by the time I get to G  this thing could be sewn up.
      Ok back in the real, ten miles from the sea, world I was very happy to see a Cuckoo in June. Only the fourth on the patch and two of those have been in the last 3 years. Then the other day while trying to flush a Sedgie from rapidly ripening Barley I instead flushed a Grasshopper Warbler. A definite bonus bird that I wasn't expecting after just my 2nd patch record last year. The following day I did flush several Sedge Warblers taking me well over the 100% and compensating nicely for the lack of flyover Hobby or Crossbills
this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment