Saturday 2 March 2013

Bi-polar birding and African-type Chaffinch

Two days after I failed to make 70, I got three species that I needed to reach that target.  I was ringing most of the day, hoping to connect with an African-type Chaffinch in North Wexford, not on my patch, and went sea-watching for an hour before dark.  I was happy to see that Razorbill is a 2-pointer and Common Scoter was one I expected to get at some stage but I was depressed and disgusted to discover that Goosander only earned a measly single point. Three red-heads flew north and are probably happily swimming around Glendalough at the moment.


I didn't get the Chaffinch but it has been seen a couple of times over the past couple of weeks.



1 comment:

  1. These Chaffinches are starting to take the piss! Where are they coming from? Saw the Phoenix Park bird in Feb 2010 so would love to know ;)

    ReplyDelete