Monday 13 May 2013

Knot another Redstart - Visit 11

Sunday 12 May was a miserable, wet and windy affair.  Yet for some reason, I found my way over to Rathlin for a quick afternoon dash around the patch and by the end of the day I had jotted 3 year ticks into a soggy notebook.
 
During the few clear spells, it was evident that a good number of migrants were around, particularly in Church Valley and the gardens around the east end.  A Water Rail was heard calling from one of the reed beds at the latter.  I checked some feeders in the gardens in Church Bay and found a single Lesser Redpoll (102) feeding with several Goldfinches.  The small bay at the east side of the harbour also held a surprise, as amongst several summer plumaged Dunlin and Turnstones, were 2 Sanderling (103) huddled amongst the seaweed. 
As ever Mill Bay had attracted some good birds, including several White Wagtails and Wheatears, a few Ringed Plover and a smart (almost) Red Knot (104) amongst several more Dunlin and Turnstones.  As I was attempting some photos in the gloom, a pipit hopped up briefly onto a nearby rock, sporting an orange breast and creamy almost unstreaked underparts! I have no idea what to make of the Rock Pipits on Rathlin at this stage.  I would assume the small numbers now present are all breeding birds, so what is this littoralis type doing there? In fact several birds in recent weeks have been equally perplexing.  A flock of unseen Whimbrel called overhead as I sat out yet another downpour.
Knot - a scarce visitor to Rathlin
A quick tour of the loughs produced the peak count of hirundines of the year and a pair of Teal were still lurking around.  I wanted to check the ditches and pines at the south end of Ushet Lough for Whinchat and thought I was in luck when I heard a few scratches and whistles from behind the last group of pine trees.  As I approached, a bird shot out of the undergrowth and flew into the next small group of pines 100m to the north.  In flight I could see a distinct red tail and grey body – it soon perched nicely on some lower branches. The second male Common Redstart of the spring! I took a few record shots and then the bird completely vanished!  You’d think I’d learn...
Another award winning shot of a Redstart!
Day totals from the patch: 1 Goldcrest, 17 Sedge Warbler, 30 Willow Warbler, 6 Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap, 1 Lesser Redpoll, 9 White Wagtail, 40+ Swallow, 10+ Sand Martin, 3 House Martin,  16 Wheatear, 1 Common Redstart, 20 Turnstone, 11 Dunlin, 2 Sanderling, 1 Knot
Score now 104 species, 129 points or 101.57%

No comments:

Post a Comment