Friday 15 February 2013

It's a beautiful day

Finally we have a lovely day here on the east coast. My last few days patching were very unproductive so I went out to make the most of the good day to look for some of the species I have not yet seen.
With the calm conditions I felt it may be worthwhile looking through the huge Scoter flocks in the hope of getting a Velvet Scoter. Alas, it was not to be, again, but while scanning I noticed a smallish bird flying somewhat like a Tern that immediately caught my attention. As I watched it come closer I realized that it was a Little Gull, a species I have not seen before in the area. While watching that a Black Guillemot flew past. I was now feeling lucky so decided to have a good look for Yellowhammer which has so far eluded me. Time spent looking at stubble fields eventually paid off as one bird came up out of the field and landed close by on a hedgerow.
Amazingly, I still have not seen a Little Egret. Where do they go during winter I wonder?

87 species. 101 points.
Eamonn

No comments:

Post a Comment