Thursday 28 February 2013

Top o' the house

The recent calm dry weather has made patching quite pleasant if not very productive for new species, although that is inevitable. A couple of days ago I finally found a Little Egret on the river. I had two more today. I wonder where they have been for the last 2 months??
I have spent many hours looking through the huge flocks of Common Scoter and although this has given me a few nice surprises, Long-tailed Duck, Little Gull and, yesterday, a male Eider, I still have not managed to connect with a Velvet Scoter. I wonder if they are still in the area. I remember seeing them quite often when I was a lot younger but have not seen one for many years.
Blackcap, which keeps on showing up in my garden, Rock Pipit and Grey Wagtail are all proving to be elusive.
A walk down down the beach this evening with the tide fully out had the beach full of waders and gulls and the usual flock of Brent Geese (4 of which are ringed), and thankfully I also found a ringed 1st winter Mediterranean Gull.
This brings my total to 90 species which I wasn't really expecting in the first two months of the year. Not bad at all !
90 species 107 points.
Eamonn

No comments:

Post a Comment