Tuesday 8 January 2013

Missing Birds on Rathlin Island


Over the last while I have been putting together an Unofficial Rathlin Island Bird List and so far I am up to 176 species.  These have been gathered from the most recent NIBA bird reports, Bird Atlas data, Nibirding Almanac 2009-2010, my own records and much appreciated help from Joe Hobbs.  This still leaves a lot of glaring omissions from the list and I am sure some of you are bound to have seen a few of them.  If you have seen any of the species listed below on or from Rathlin please drop me an email: nealwarnock@btinternet.com, leave a message on the blog or Tweet me @NealWarnock - where you can also tune in for birding updates from Rathlin and further afield.  Thanks for your help.
Common or scarce species currently not on the Island List:
Mute Swan (!), Pintail, Shoveler, Scaup, Long-tailed Duck, Grey Plover, Dotterel, Slavonian Grebe, Garganey, Velvet Scoter, Smew, Green Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Glaucous Gull, Stock Dove, Kingfisher, Dipper, Waxwing, Pied Flycatcher, Black Redstart, Long-tailed Tit, Treecreeper, Jay, Tree Sparrow, Bewick’s Swan

2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of new species there for you to bag this year Neal. I think we're all screwed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think I've been banging on about the place - compare this list to the list of rarities! And those are only the commoner ones missing - also no Pec, AGP, Buff-B's...

    ReplyDelete